Waist bead is a traditional African fashion accessory that is usually made of small beads on a string and worn around the waist or hips.
Waist beads usually come in different colours, shapes and sizes and some of them also contain charms and crystals.
In Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal and other west African countries, waist beads are symptoms of fertility, sensuality, femininity and spiritual well being.
Wearing waist beads is a fashionable accessory as it was in the past. The difference is that nowadays it has been incorporated to different styles and modes fashion that even ladies who do not know about the traditional aspect of wearing them are doing so, all in the name of fashion.
Different colours of waist beads and their significance.
- Brown – Earth and Stability.
- White – Light, Truth and Purity
- Gold – Good health, Power and wealth.
- Yellow – Joy, Energy and happiness.
- Black – Power and protection
- Blue – Loyalty and Truth
- Green – Fertility, Abundance, Nature and prosperity.
- Red – Confidence and vitality.
- Turquoise- Communication and self awareness.
- Purple – Royalty, spirituality and wisdom
- Orange – Courage, self confidence and vitality.
- Pink – Care, Beauty, kindness and lovve.
Do not let anyone influence or deceive you into thinking that only slim ladies can wear waist beads.